Thursday, October 4, 2012

Matilda Tank

Sorry to all who has been waiting for a new machine to emerge, unfortunately they don't reproduce through mitosis nor do I own a gnome production line. This Matilda tank was began in the fall of 2011 and was only completed just in time for ANZAC day on 25th of April. To most tank researchers the Matilda comes in two form, I couldn't bother with the first machine gun armed Matilda which did nearly kill Gen. Erwin Rommel in France in 1940. This is one of the biggest and sophisticated machines I have ever made, even harder than the Tiger I since I added in a lot of finesse to it including engine access hatches, exhaust pipes, smoke dischargers and etc. The turret was a nightmare as careful sculpting of a frame was required and pieces have to be cut and pasted carefully. The track pieces were rounded off with a nail clipper and a movable gun mantle is installed as well. The major reason I put in so much effect for this machine is that I am in Australia currently so I felt I should pay tribute to the veterans for their bravery and sacrifice in the Second World War against the Axis powers. Did you know? The Matilda had nearly 80mm of frontal armour which shocked the socks off the Germans as their 37mm anti-tank guns bounced off like tennis balls! The Japanese fared worse in the Pacific islands since their own tanks were much weaker and their anti-tank warfare was weak, so they resorted to banzai charges instead. However, Gen. Erwin Rommel also found a superweapon against this 'Queen of the Desert', the dreaded 88mm Anti-Aircraft Gun. As a matter effect, a side project I committed to while making the Matilda was an 88mm gun given to my friend as a birthday present. The next machine to be posted will take even longer to make, since it will not be a tank... Stay tuned!

No comments: